Acne, something that we all wish we never have, something that no girl wants to have but at some point in our life, we have.
Background to my acne story
Just about 6 months ago i started my battle with Acne, the triggering moment of my acne was my very first Facial, i had ever gotten a Facial done before, which is why my skin reacted in a negative manner. The Facial was carried out in a very professional way, but my skin didn’t take it too well, after my treatment was done, my skin became very sensitive than usual.
The time i got my Facial done, i had to attend weddings & events back to back, which means getting in contact with heavy makeup. I was wearing makeup every single day for good 2 – 3 weeks, the next triggering moment was poor removal of makeup. It is so important to remove makeup off our face properly, the chemicals from those products if left on the skin for too long can clog our pores & cause bacteria on the skin, and that is the last thing we ever want.
These two points have been the main cause of my Acne, Facial & Poor removal of makeup.
How i took care of my skin?
1 – Visit a good dermatologist or doctor
This was the very first step i took when my break outs became serious, i took a visit to my Doctor and explained the issue i was facing. I was then prescribed ‘Contraception pills’, shocking i know! My first reaction was ‘i’m not married doctor’, i was then told that Contraception pills are sometimes given to young girls to control their hormonal system, the change in our hormones can cause our skin to break out for example ‘Teenage acne’. I then started to take those pills, but it didn’t make any difference to my skin. I went back to my doctor who then referred me to a dermatologist in London, my skin was then checked and i was given a gel called ‘DUAC DAILY GEL’
Duac gel was given to me to put over my pimples every night before going to bed, i used this gel for good 3 months to actually see the results, this gel at the beginning was quite irritating on my skin, but i was later told that i was applying it wrong. This gel is quite strong, which is why it should only be applied to the pimples.
2 – Find the right skincare products
This step has been one of my life changing step, after using numerous amount of different skin care item, i was able to find few of the most amazing skin care products that has totally changed my skin game.
These are three cleanser/facial wash i have used through my acne phase, i will start with my most used/favorite out of the three.
- Kiehl’s ultra facial cleanser – This Face wash has become my everyday facial cleanser, i use this day & night to cleanse & remove makeup. This does an amazing job of removing your makeup including eye makeup, it cleanses the skin without leaving your skin feeling too dry or tight. This is a fragrance free product which is amazing if you have sensitive & acne prone skin, the gentle formula is very comforting to the skin, a little product goes a long way. You only need a pee sized amount to wash the entire face.
- No 7 melting gel cleanser – I have recently started using this cleanser to remove my makeup, this is a very interesting type of cleanser, it comes out as a gel, turns into an oil when applied to the skin and then turns into a milky texture which really fascinates me on how it does that. This is not foamy at all, feels like cleaning your face with oily liquid, but it does the job of cleansing the skin beautifully. This is for normal to dry skin users, it would not work on oily skin.
- Olay refreshing facial cleanser gel – I have been using this facial wash for years, even well before my skin broke out, this is an amazing facial wash which removes all the dirt & makeup off your face. This is the most foaming cleanser out of the three mentioned above, however, this did start to break me out when my acne became extreme, hence why i stopped using this. The reason i’m mentioning this is because this will be an amazing cleanser if you don’t have acne prone skin.
- Pixi glow tonic – This has become my holy grail skincare product, this toner has completely changed how my skin looks, it has really brightened & toned my skin as well as helped me to take control of my acne & breakouts. This is all because of the active ingredients in this product, glycolic acid is an amazing ingredient which should be Incorporated into our skincare as it helps with lightening discoloration of the skin, and exfoliate the skin to remove dead skin cell, revealing new brighter looking skin complexion. Highly recommend all ladies to try this product, you’ll thank me later. I use this day and night after cleansing my skin with my facial wash, this is one of my most crucial step in my skincare routine.
- Kiehl’s ultra facial cream – I have been using this cream for nearly a year now and still can’t get over the fact of how amazing it is. This is a perfect dose of hydration for all normal to dry skin toned ladies, this cream softens the skin without making the face look greasy or tanned looking. If any of you suffer from dry patches, this cream is amazing for getting rid of them (but don’t forget to exfoliate you skin as well). I use this cream at day time only after toning my face to complete the whole skincare routine.
- Kiehl’s midnight recovery oil – I just can’t say enough about this product to be honest, this oil has been a blessing to my dry acne prone skin, i use this every night before going to bed after toning my face with pixi tonic (mentioned above), i don’t know what this oil has but it transforms my skin into baby soft texture when i wake up in the morning. It makes my skin even as well as helping me tackle pimples, it soothes and hydrates the skin, giving you a perfect base to start your makeup on.
These have been my daily and most used products that have made my skin clear and healthier looking to what it previously was.
3 – Be confident
I know having pimples on your skin sucks, no body likes any form of imperfection on their face, but you should never forget to accept that you are beautiful no matter what. ALLAH has made us all equally beautiful and perfect, trust your self and bring out your inner beauty because it’s worth it :’)